Sunday, January 28, 2007

Reflections of the First Week

So, I've made it through my first week of training, and you know what, it's not so bad.

It's funny, but I thought that I would be dreading going to the gym every night, and be all sluggish about getting there. But it's quite the opposite for me. I actually find myself kind of looking forward to getting there and seeing what Ronn has in store for me. True, those last two workouts with him were pretty ferocious, and I was in some serious pain for a couple days last week, but it honestly feels good to challenge myself in this way. It's a brand new high for me.

It's great to walk into the gym and actually feel like I belong there. I always thought of athletics as the world of the "other people"--the hotter, prettier people, those who just coasted through life with blessed genes and could easily maintain six-pack abs and great biceps and then wield them to their advantage. (Please, I can't tell you how many little gym rats walk through West Hollywood in their tiny wife-beater tanks and their designer sweat pants as if they're entitled to all the best that life has to offer just because they have great bodies and good skin. And anyone who's been to WeHo knows exactly what I'm talking about.) But when I walk into Train, I feel as if it's part of my world as well. I'm not an outsider anymore.

I feel a little more energized and a little more invigorated now that I've got something physically demanding going on in my life. Going to the gym is giving me a strange sense of "purpose"... or rather, a goal. Something to strive for. I feel like I'm accomplishing something, and that makes me feel good.

I'm surprised how closely I'm sticking to the regimen as well. Today, for instance, I planned to go to Train and spend 30 mins on the treadmill, but when I got there, they were closed. (I got my days confused; they are open later on Saturdays!) For a brief instant, I thought, "Well, guess that means I won't be working out today." But immediately I stopped myself, called my neighbor and said "Let's take your dog and go hiking in Runyon Canyon." And boy, did that hike kick my ass! But in a good way. (My neighbor, on the other hand, is in some serious pain from her back. And she was the one who was just tearing up that hill while I was panting like her little Terrier.)

The diet's not too bad, even if it is a little repetitive. But there are ways to mix it up, so I just have to get a little more creative. And I will. Yesterday was my "cheat day" (I've chosen Saturdays as mine), but instead of chowing down on a Big Mac or something, I just treated myself to an extra breakfast smoothie instead. I must be crazy: Who else cheats by eating more healthy foods?)

Anyway, my legs are killing me from that hike, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the gym tomorrow night with Ronn and hitting the weights again. Ronn's going to weigh me to see how much weight I've lost so far (here's hoping it's a good number), so that should be interesting. Hope you'll check back to see what kind of progress I'm making.

No comments: